Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2024  
  < RETURN  
  November 5, 2024, Election Recommendations -- Harris/Walz
October 9, 2024

When I provided election recommendations on October 4, 2004, I inadvertently left out the most important one, president of the United States. Maybe I thought the choice was obvious – Harris/Walz.

This is what I wrote on my Facebook page on September 18:

As a Vietnam Veteran with an 80% disability due to a service-connected hearing loss, I urge you to vote for Harris-Walz as president and vice-president. With his denigration and disparagement of veterans, particularly those who lost their lives, were wounded or became prisoners of war, Trump is not fit to be president.

According to Trump’s former chief of staff four-star General John Kelly and others, on a trip to France, Trump canceled a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery, saying,” “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers,” and called the soldiers buried there “suckers” for being killed.

General Kelly has said, "A person that thinks those who defend their country in uniform, or are shot down or seriously wounded in combat, or spend years being tortured as POWs are all ‘suckers’ because ‘there is nothing in it for them,'" Kelly said of Trump. "A person that did not want to be seen in the presence of military amputees because ‘it doesn’t look good for me.’ A person who demonstrated open contempt for a Gold Star family — for all Gold Star families — on TV during the 2016 campaign, and rants that our most precious heroes who gave their lives in America’s defense are ‘losers’ and wouldn’t visit their graves in France.”

The Atlantic reported that Trump privately made damning statements against U.S. service members and veterans, such as the late Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., who had been a Vietnam prisoner of war, and former President George H.W. Bush, who was shot down as a Navy pilot in World War II. During a visit to France in 2018 for the centennial anniversary of the end of World War I, Trump also reportedly called Marines who died at Belleau Wood “suckers” and fallen soldiers at Aisne-Marne American Cemetery “losers.”

And then there is the Arlington National Cemetery incident where The US Army issued a stark rebuke of former President Donald Trump’s presidential campaign over the incident at Arlington National Cemetery, saying in a statement that participants in the ceremony “were made aware of federal laws” regarding political activity at the cemetery, and “abruptly pushed aside” an employee of the cemetery.

May be an image of text

< RETURN