Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2024  
  < RETURN  
  A Year in the Life After Politics - Part 1
January 10, 2024

It was exactly one year ago today that I termed out as mayor of Richmond. My last City Council meeting was January 10, 2023, which was called solely to certify the 2022 election. I did not attend the swearing-in ceremony in the evening of the 10th. I have neither attended nor watched a City Council, meeting since. For 28 years, I did the best I could, and we accomplished a lot, but now Richmond is in the hands of others with a different agenda. Although I will always be grateful to those who supported me over those 28 years, and I will never forget the colleagues, both in and out of Richmond, that I have worked with on plans, projects, programs and policies, moving on was the easiest thing I’ve ever done.

This is a summary of how Shirley and I spent 2023.

No photo description available.
New Year’s day 2024 opened with a big snow at the Old Schoolhouse in Sierra City

A group of people posing for a photo    Description automatically generated
My Mayor's staff threw a big going away party for me at the Riggers Loft on January 6.
Here I am with my grandsons Ryland and Harlan.

A person and person holding wine glasses    Description automatically generated
Going away party January 6, 2023

Nice Congressional record entry by Congressman DeSaulnier

A house with a white roof    Description automatically generated
We continue volunteer ("Wickie") days the second Saturday of every month at East Brother Island. January was clear and warm.
Let me know if you would like to participate.

A group of people sitting around a table    Description automatically generated
Back to the Old Schoolhouse in Sierra City in February

A person standing on a snowy road    Description automatically generated
The snow-covered Wild Plum Road in Sierra City

A group of people sitting at a table    Description automatically generated

In February, we attended the CivicWell Policymakers‘ Conference at Asilomar in Monterey.  My one remaining governmental affiliation is with CivicWell (formerly Local Government Commission) a statewide organization of local elected officials. I served as a board member for years, and the bylaws allow one former board member and chair to serve on an emeritus status for a year. This is my year. For over 30 years, we had a winter meeting at Yosemite, called the Ahwahnee Conference. This year, Yosemite was not available, so we are at Asilomar, a stroke of luck because Yosemite is closed by snow.  This morning we are starting out with a discussion on “Effectively Influencing State Climate Policy from a Local Level,” featuring State Senator Catherine Blakespear, Santa Barbara County Supervisor Das Williams and CivicWell Policy Director Roger Dickinson.

Sunset on Monterey Bay

March 23, 2023 - my 79th birthday at the Baltic Kiss

A screenshot of a computer    Description automatically generated

In April 2023, the Winehaven Trust, a 501(c)3 nonprofit I founded filed suit against the City of Richmond to force the City to honor its obligations to maintain the property to avoid “demolition by neglect.”

In April, Shirley and I went to Denver for the spring meeting of ASTM Committee E6, Performance of Buildings, where I chair two task groups in charge of multiple standards. One is Weather Resistive Barriers, which deals with standards on building paper and house wraps. The other is Water Vapor Retarders Under Concrete Slabs on Grade. These ASTM meetings give me a chance to sit in on multiple sessions with topics that interest me. For example, I attended task group meetings on Window Installation and Tiny Houses. I haven’t been to Denver for several years. The downtown looks clean and had a lot of new urbanist characteristics, and a huge collection of historic buildings. But it is also suffering from widespread vacancies of retail spaces- whole blocks along the 16th Street Mall with vacant buildings.

A screenshot of a computer    Description automatically generated
 In May, I sued the City of Richmond and Gayle McLaughlin to prevent her acting as mayor, a Charter violation

May also brought a trip to Fayetteville for a week  

Deepwood is our family place in Fayetteville, a National Register property.

A building with a body of water    Description automatically generated

We visited the world class art museum, Crystal Bridges, financed by the Walton Family, in Bentonvillle.

On the Kessler Mountain trail at Deepwood

May volunteer (“Wickie”) day at East Brother

A group of people outside    Description automatically generated

Afet a three-year hiatus, we resumed the Refinery Town Bluegrass and Barbecue on Memorial Day weekend.

Refinery Town Bluegrass and Barbecue

Refinery Town Bluegrass and Barbecue

June 2023 and back to the Old Schoolhouse  

The snow melted at lower elevations in the Lakes Basin

A close-up of purple flowers growing on a rock    Description automatically generated
Wildflowers are blooming

Celebrating Andrew’s birthday in June. Cecilia and friends

A group of people around a campfire    Description automatically generated
 S’mores for the after party

June Wickie Day at East Brother

June -- Relaxing in front of the Old Schoolhouse  

A group of people posing for a picture    Description automatically generated
 Cecilia and friends at San Pond, Lakes Basin

Sketch of the Old Schoolhouse

A person sitting on a log with dogs by a lake    Description automatically generated

Another day in the Lost Sierra

A group of people on a surfboard in a lake    Description automatically generated
Packer Lake 

A person and person taking a selfie    Description automatically generated

July – Tamarack Lakes
 A house in the woods    Description automatically generated

July – Abandoned school in the ghost town of Forest

Dodging 4th of July Traffic in Sierra City

< RETURN