Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2022  
  < RETURN  
  Miraflores and Baxter Creek Park Still a Dump
February 5, 2022

Six months ago, I reported on the embarrassing and abysmal condition of Baxter Creek Park and the adjacent site of the proposed development by Miraflores Community Devco, LLC (Baxter Creek Park an Example of City Priorities, July 31, 2021).

Today, six months later, I went by to see if anything had changed. Unfortunately, it has not.

There are still great piles of trash, but what I found particularly distressing is that vandals have started destroying the historic structures from the former greenhouse complex that had been mothballed for future rehabilitation to remind us in the future of this significant history of Japanese settlements in the area. Homeless people have breached the structures, and I fear they will eventually be destroyed by fire.

I found all gates to the fenced and supposedly restricted area wide open and the site in even worse shape.

Why is this happening? The Richmond Progressive Alliance (RPA) City Council members (Gayle McLaughlin, Claudia Jimenez, Melvin Willis and Eduardo Martinez) and Demnlus Johnson have fostered a culture of incompetence and corruption among some of the City’s top managers, and they have neglected the most basic responsibilities of the City of Richmond. These City Council members control and are sitting on millions of dollars of ARPA funds that could be used to rescue this project.

Instead of cleaning up the City of Richmond, these City Council members are illegally spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in a vindictive effort to investigate and litigate against me. And the corrupt, incompetent and unethical Office of the City attorney is enabling them to continue.

There are a very few positive signs. I saw a hard working Public Works crew mowing the grass in the park, but they have not been provided the resources to maintain the landscaping or do a cleanup. I keep my fingers crossed that Interim City Manager Shasa Curl can get the City back on the tracks after the train wreck that former City Manager Laura Snideman caused.

A picture containing grass, outdoor, rock, nature    Description automatically generated
Figure 1 - Trash and garbage
A picture containing grass, outdoor, sky, house    Description automatically generated
Figure 2 - Homeless people have moved onto the site
A building with graffiti on it    Description automatically generated with low confidence
Figure 3 - Historic structures are being destroyed
A picture containing outdoor    Description automatically generated
Figure 4 - The historic farmhouse has been breached and become a homeless camp
A picture containing ground, outdoor, sky, grass    Description automatically generated
Figure 5 - Former streets filled with construction debris
A picture containing outdoor, ground, grass, trash    Description automatically generated
Figure 6 - More trash and garbage
A picture containing text, sky, outdoor    Description automatically generated
Figure 7 - More trash and garbage
A picture containing grass, sky, outdoor, green    Description automatically generated
Figure 8 - tent in the City Park
A picture containing grass, outdoor, sky, standing    Description automatically generated
Figure 9 - Riparian area along Baxter Creek is not maintained
A close-up of some plants    Description automatically generated with low confidence
Figure 10 - Landscaped area are not maintained and are dominated by weeds
A picture containing ground, outdoor, sky, dirt    Description automatically generated
Figure 11 - gates to the area that is supposed to be secured are wide open

< RETURN