Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2022  
  < RETURN  
  Film Complete! World Premiere in London.
February 15, 2022

This is an interesting documentary that I had some very small part in supporting. It is about the filmmaker’s (Peter McDowell’s) older brother who served in Vietnam in 1970-71, and then returned to Saigon as a civilian, only to die later under mysterious circumstances. This haunted his brother for years, and he ultimately created this film, “Jimmy in Saigon,” that documents how Jimmy’s story was finally resolved.

Peter McDowell found me on line from postings I had made about my Vietnam service, originally looking for background and context of Jimmy’s Army assignment, HHC (Headquarters and Headquarters Company) of the 20th Engineer Brigade. My Vietnam service, which ended the same time Jimmy arrived, was with HHC 159th Engineer Group, one of three engineer groups under the 20th Engineer Brigade, and located in the same place, Long Binh Post. I had visited what was later Jimmy’s workplace many times, as part of my job was to provide weekly briefings to the brigade commander at HHC 20th Engineer Brigade. I was happy to help Peter with whatever details he needed.

I stayed on the “Jimmy in Saigon,” email list and got updates over a two year period. Finally, I got a preliminary copy of the film to view and found it extraordinarily good. I made a substantial donation to help finish it and will appear in the credits.

I won’t spoil the film by revealing its ending, but if you ever get a chance, I recommend you view it.

It has been entered in many film festivals and will have its world premier in London in March.

BIG NEWS!

JIMMY IN SAIGON IS COMPLETE
WORLD PREMIERE MARCH 19-20
LONDON, ENGLAND

Jimmy in Saigon is an official selection of the British Film Institute’s Flare LGBTQ+ Film Festival 2022 and will have its world premiere in London on Saturday, March 19th at at BFI Southbank!

BFI Flare: London LGBTIQ+ Film Festival is the UK’s longest-running queer film event. It began in 1986 as Gay’s Own Pictures. By its 3rd edition, it was called the London Lesbian and Gay Film Festival and since then has grown to become the largest LGBTIQ+ film event in the UK, and its most anticipated. The festival changed its name to BFI Flare in 2014 to reflect the increasing diversity of its films, filmmakers and audience. Jimmy in Saigon is included in their "Hearts" programmatic theme

Last week, we finished both color correction (with Anastasia Shepherd) and sound mixing (with Jeremiah Moore at the legendary Hyde Street Studios), marking the COMPLETION of post-production for Jimmy in Saigon and ending an epic journey of 11+ years. We couldn’t ask for a better plan to share JIS with the world for the first time than at the BFI Flare festival.

I hope you are just as happy about this wonderful news as we are—it would not be happening without your years of support, encouragement, donations and goodwill. As always, we cannot begin to express how grateful we are. Thank you for getting us here!

We would love to see our supporters in London! In addition to the March 19th premiere, there will be an additional showing on Sunday, March 20th. We plan on having receptions for donors after both screenings and would love to see you there.

After a day or two in London, possibly staying at the Ibis London Blackfriars hotel, you might want to make a side trip to Windsor, Cambridge, or Stonehenge. (Click here for more info from our favorite travel guru, Rick Steves.) 

Fares to London at the moment are good (and perhaps like us, you too are eager to travel again!).

Pictured are just a few current round-trip fares* we found from US cities!
*prices not guaranteed and are subject to change

And if you live in Europe, please hop a train or take a short flight to join us!

Of course, we anticipate many more screenings at U.S. venues and festivals, so American fans will hopefully have more opportunities to see JIS on a big screen closer to home in the coming months.

We’ll certainly keep you posted!

Whether you attend the festival in person or virtually, here are some dates for your diaries:

• TODAY Tues. 2/15: Festival launch on BFI YouTubeBFI Flare Facebook
• Thurs. 2/24: tickets on general sale (at 11:30 GMT) — more info soon!
• Sat. 3/19: 1:45pm screening of Jimmy in Saigon in London at BFI Southbank
• Sun. 3/20: 1:00pm encore screening of Jimmy in Saigon in London at BFI Southbank

Festival season, marketing, distribution and deferred costs owed to artists, technicians and musicians still require funding. In addition, each festival that we submit to can cost up to $200, and most festivals, such as BFI Flare, do not pay screening honorariums.

In early January, we set a fundraising goal of $30,000 to see us through this final phase—and we are getting there, having raised nearly $13,000 towards that goal! Your continued support ensures that we can put Jimmy in Saigon out into the world and pay all those who have worked so hard on the film.

We humbly request your help filling our progress bar with additional donations. Please consider sending additional tax-deductible donations to jimmyinsaigon.com/give today.

Sending love and gratitude from the whole JIS team.

We hope to see you in London!

Cheers,

P.S. FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!

Instagram

Facebook

Twitter

Copyright © 2022 Peter McDowell Arts Consulting, All rights reserved.
You indicated interest in my documentary film in progress, Jimmy In Saigon.

Our mailing address is:
Peter McDowell Arts Consulting
1525 Allesandro
Los Angeles, CA 90026

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

< RETURN