Following is the Richmond Fire Department summary of last night’s activities compiled by Battalion Chief Aaron Osorio and forwarded by Chief Michael Smith:
All Richmond Fire companies (except 63) were extremely busy from 1700-0100 hours. From 0730 on 7/4 through 0730 on 7/5, we ran a total of 27 fire related calls. 9 vegetation fires and 1 structure fire in Rodeo. The remainder of the fire incidents were trash or debris fires.
We responded to 4 significant incidents.
- 109 Meadowlark Way, Rodeo - Structure Fire. 1 home fully involved with 4 other properties sustaining significant damage to outbuildings, vegetation, and fencing. BC 64/E61/BS61
- 3132 Southhampton Ct - Vegetation Fire. 1/4 acre between multiple residents. Cause: juveniles setting off fireworks. E68/E70/E69/BC64
- 818 Dornan DR - Vegetation Fire. 1/4 acre mid slope along the hiking path. Unknown cause. No fireworks witnessed in the area. E67/E62
- 801 Banks Dr. - Vegetation Fire. 3 acres in Point Pinole Park. Cause: Large number of fireworks being set off on Banks Drive and over the park. PD requested. BC64/BC7/BC71/E62/E70/E69/E64/E68/E66/EBRPD Type 3, Type 6, Water Tender, BC
- 1244 Kelsey St. - Vegetation Fire. 1/4 acre. Access blocked by 200+ people attending block party. Roadblocks set up by residents prevented access. RPD requested for scene safety and to assist with access. Cause: Large fireworks show. BC64/E62/E61
In general, the use of fireworks across the city was at a level I have never witnessed before. To say it was excessive would be an understatement.
There were no fireworks related injuries that I am aware of that we responded to and very few confiscated fireworks were dropped off by RPD.