Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2021  
  < RETURN  
  Local MCE Program Inspires Statewide Effort to Prevent Summer Blackouts
December 7, 2021

See the Press Release below for more exciting news concerning MCE, on which I serve as chair of the Board of Directors.

Local MCE Program Inspires Statewide Effort to Prevent Summer Blackouts
$161 million earmarked for new energy efficiency and grid reliability programs

SAN RAFAEL and CONCORD, Calif. — The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) has just approved $150 million to fund a new statewide program, based on the success of MCE’s Peak FLEXmarket which will also receive $11 million for program implementation over the next two years.
MCE’s first-of-its-kind Peak FLEXmarket Program drives energy efficiency, decarbonization, and peak energy reduction by integrating a wide range of distributed energy technologies like smart thermostats, energy storage, and electric vehicle chargers. By offering a payment for measured hourly energy reductions when the grid needs it most, regardless of how it was achieved, the program ensures that incentives match the value of energy usage and that various solutions work together in a coordinated way.

"There's a lot of innovation here...I think it's really worth underscoring some of the things in this decision...are really cutting edge nationally…” said CPUC Commissioner Rechtschaffen during the voting meeting on December 2. “I want to extend my appreciation to Marin Clean Energy. Their FLEXmarket program forms the template for a good bit of what we did here and it shows the value of allowing them to implement these programs and do experimentation.

View the full release online or attached here for your convenience. 

< RETURN