Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2021  
  < RETURN  
  New Information on Marin Water Pipe Line
October 30, 2021

New information is coming out about the proposed water pipe line to Marin. Our EBMUD representative Lesa McIntosh is making sure EBMUD doesn’t just roll over for MMWD.

EBMUD General Manager Clifford Chan wrote on October 29, 2021:

While we have no capacity in our raw water system, we do have limited capacity in our distribution system. For an MMWD transfer to work, we would have to utilize our intertie with San Francisco (what we call the Hayward Intertie). The Hayward Intertie connects San Francisco’s treated water system to our treated water distribution system (with the City of Hayward in between). This would require additional agreements with San Francisco and Hayward. It’s a bit complicated, but I would be happy to discuss this with you if you are interested in learning how this works.

As for the work on Delfino [Street in Point Richmond], our trucks were out there in support of the feasibility evaluation. Yesterday, I directed staff to suspend any further field activity until I discuss with Board the principles I referenced below.

Earlier on the same date, EBMUD General Manager Clifford Chan wrote on October 29, 2021:

Several months ago, MMWD informed EBMUD that they were evaluating the feasibility of a pipeline connection across the bridge. At the time, there was no specific scope of work to their request, and we also wanted to understand what other options they considered that did not involve the pipeline across the bridge, and made it clear that we would not sell any EBMUD water to MMWD, that our customers would not bear any of the costs for project, and that water quality and level of service would not be affected. Subsequently, we entered into a memorandum of understanding to evaluate the feasibility of the project (with all EBMUD costs to be reimbursed by MMWD).

In September, we shared with MMWD and our Board the preliminary results that showed that we had no capacity in our raw water system to support the project and limited capacity within our distribution system. In addition to the concerns I noted in the above paragraph, we also informed our Board that MMWD should explore other options and not solely rely on EBMUD. You can see the updates we provided to our Board at https://www.ebmud.com/about-us/board-directors/board-meetings/ (click on the “Past Board Meetings”; see the presentations on June 8, September 14, September 28, October 12, and October 26).

At our upcoming November 9 Planning Committee meeting (which will be held in the morning), we will discuss with the committee the project, and principles that must be met before EBMUD would support implementation of the project. Information about the time and link for the meeting has not been posted, but will be posted next week at this link https://www.ebmud.com/about-us/board-directors/board-meetings/. You can participate in this meeting virtually and provide public comment.

Our Community Affairs staff has begun outreach to the neighborhood. We have concerns about MMWD making commitments to our customers and Richmond residents and not following through, and will meet with the community to hear their concerns and work to ensure MMWD is responsive. We will also participate in the Mayor’s ad hoc committee, and will provide clarity on EBMUD’s role in the project and the District’s commitment to its Richmond customers.

I have cc’d your EBMUD Board member (Director Lesa McIntosh) and Mayor Butt. Feel free to reach out to me if you have additional questions.

Also, on October 29, 2021, we received the following letter from Ben Horenstein, General Manager of MMWD:

< RETURN