MCE is wrapping up the year by reaching out to our member-communities to provide a short update on the progress we made together in 2016. At this time, community choice is poised to flourish throughout California.
This year, MCE’s Board of Directors unanimously voted to extend our service to seven new communities. MCE now proudly serves approximately 250,000 customers in Marin County, Napa County, and the cities of Benicia, El Cerrito, Lafayette, Richmond, San Pablo, and Walnut Creek.
Some of our biggest achievements this year include:
· 813 new megawatts of in-state renewable energy: With so much new energy in the pipeline, MCE was California’s largest purchaser of renewable energy in 2016!
· EPA’s 2016 Green Power Leadership Award: The Center for Resource Solutions presented MCE with the Green Power Leadership Award. Previous recipients include Apple INC, the U.S. Green Building Council and the White House Council on Environmental Quality.
· Diving into Deep Green: Between 2010 and 2015, MCE’s Deep Green participation has grown by 1233% and collectively reduced over 18,000 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions across our service area! Thanks to the outstanding work of our member communities, more individuals that ever are taking advantage of MCE’s 100% renewable energy option.
Marin Municipal Water District voted to opt up all of its accounts to 100% renewable electricity starting in summer 2017.
· EPA recognizes the Golden Gate National Recreation Area: The Golden Gate National Recreation Area was honored by the EPA for actively working toward carbon neutrality through installation of new solar and participation in MCE and CleanPowerSF’s 100% renewable energy options.
This has been an exciting year, and we’re not slowing down. Be on the lookout for these great programs coming in 2017:
· MCE SmartCharge program: MCE is launching its new electric vehicle pilot this Spring! Residential and commercial customers are eligible to earn cash rewards for participating in demand response events through their level 2 electric vehicle charging equipment.
· Local Sol: Local Sol service will start in 2017, allowing customers to purchase locally sourced renewable energy and support local renewable development and green jobs.
· El Cerrito’s 100 for 100: To commemorate its centennial, El Cerrito is launching a year-long celebration to encourage residents to go 100% renewable for their 100th anniversary by choosing Deep Green.