|The Richmond Progressive Alliance, which continues to be the dominant political force in Richmond, has announced its slate for a new, elected Steering Committee. The candidates, along with short bios and campaign statements, can be found at http://richmondprogressivealliance.net/docs/RPA2016SCSlate_with_Statements.pdf. The members will be elected at a meeting on January 9, 2016, at 1021 Macdonald Avenue, 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM. All members can vote. The cost of membership is $12/year or as much as you can afford.
There appear to be 16 nominated members plus five nominated members from “allied organizations,” for a total of 21. Presumably there are no longer secret members.
The slate includes two City Council members, Jovanka Beckles and Eduardo Martinez.
Some of the stated objectives of the individual slate members includes:
· Rent control and just cause
· Ending racism and discrimination
· Win an additional seat on the City Council
· Education advocacy
· Addressing homelessness and poverty
· Social justice
· Mitigate the fallout of Mayor Butt declaring political war
· Resources for business development for marginalized people
· Environmental justice
· Diversity of RPA leadership
· Building the “RPA brand.”