Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2015  
  < RETURN  
  California Anti-Violence Program Engages With Shooters to Reduce Gun Violence and Improve Social Outcomes
July 28, 2015

July 27, 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE    
(608) 886-5249 | ehanusa@nccdglobal.org

California Anti-Violence Program Engages With Shooters to Reduce Gun Violence and Improve Social Outcomes
New evaluation finds that innovative program focusing on those most at risk shows significant potential

http://content.delivra.com/etapcontent/NationalCouncilonCrimeDe/Press%20releases/2015/Fellows.jpgOakland, CA – The National Council on Crime and Delinquency (NCCD) today issued its process evaluation of the Richmond, California, Office of Neighborhood Safety (ONS) and its Operation Peacemaker Fellowship. The study found that many participants in the Operation Peacemaker Fellowship have experienced low levels of violence since enrolling in the Fellowship along with improvement in other outcomes, including educational attainment and employment status. Furthermore, data suggest that ONS violence reduction strategies, including the Fellowship, have contributed to reductions in gun violence in Richmond.

The evaluation was funded by The California Wellness Foundation and the City of Richmond and led by principal investigator Dr. Angie Wolf, NCCD’s director of justice strategies. Dr. Wolf said, “Gun violence is a critical and difficult problem for cities like Richmond to solve. Our evaluation shows that the ONS is making progress. Other cities can look to Richmond for lessons on how to tailor these strategies in their own communities.”

Richmond has long had one of the highest per-capita homicide rates in the country. ONS has garnered attention across the country for its program to reduce gun violence and homicide in Richmond by targeting the young men most at risk for shooting or being shot. ONS director DeVone Boggan said, “[For each participant,] we knew that we need to engage this young man, or he’s going to die or kill someone on these streets.”

This approach, informed by the Cure Violence model and other best practices, combines individual and community outreach. NCCD’s evaluation methodology included site visits, interviews with stakeholders, document reviews, and interviews with young men served by the Operation Peacemaker Fellowship, the individual-level component of ONS outreach. NCCD also analyzed ONS outreach data and crime data reported by the Richmond Police Department to the FBI.

Interviews with program participants bear out the study’s findings. One young man said, “Life is totally different now. I ride around with no fear of police or enemies … Now I work hard, am productive, no incidents, not even a traffic ticket. I don’t want to hurt no one, and I don’t want to be hurt.”

Highlights of the study and the full evaluation report can be found on NCCD’s website.

About NCCD
NCCD promotes just and equitable social systems for individuals, families, and communities through research, public policy, and practice. For more information about NCCD, please visit our website.

###

< RETURN