EBMUD declared a Stage 4 critical drought and set a community wide goal to reduce water use 20% compared to 2013.
The following are the mandatory outdoor watering rules now in effect:
1. Water no more than 2 non-consecutive days per week.
2. Strict limits on time: only before 9 am or after 6 pm.
3. No watering allowed within 48 hours of measurable rainfall.
4. No watering of ornamental turf on public street medians allowed.
5. No washing of driveways and sidewalks; except as needed for health and safety (i.e., pet enclosures, etc.)
6. Use only hoses with shutoff nozzles to wash vehicles.
7. Turn off fountains or decorative water features unless the water is recirculated.
Conservation alone is not enough.
- EBMUD is delivering nearly 11 billion gallons of extra water supplies through its federal dry-year contract - about a two-month supply to fill its reservoirs.
- EBMUD will continue looking for more water supplies to buy and deliver through the Freeport facility on the Sacramento River.
New Drought Rates: EBMUD Board of Directors will hold a public hearing on June 9, 2015 and then consider adopting new rates. If approved, the new rates and any drought surcharge would take effect July 1st.