]
Tom Butt Header E-Forum

E-Mail Forum – 2014  
  < RETURN  
  Senator Bernie Sanders in Richmond October 16
October 3, 2014

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2W_4EPvHmqQSyXNW3s5IQ6Wqx0vgBhpWTdNaQh83rVzvx_d5GrcJyePP8

Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, an Independent, will be in Richmond on October 16 for a “Town Hall” meeting with local leaders as part of an ecumenical defense of Richmond progress in the last decade. The meeting will be open to the public from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM at 1021 Mcdonald Avenue.

His four terms as mayor of Burlington--Vermont's largest city-- prefigured some of the great things that have been done here to revitalize Richmond. He is expected to share his experiences in Burlington, where despite unsuccessful efforts by old guard politicians and business interests to obstruct downtown revitalization and waterfront redevelopment projects, Burlington ended up with very attractive and successful urban neighborhoods.

Suzanne Gordon of Richmond has been working closely with Senator Sanders, in his role as Senate Veterans Affairs Committee chair, on a book for Cornell University Press about the VA hospital system, which he has vigorously defended and won $16 billion in new funding for over the summer. So, veterans benefits and health care will be a featured topic, with invitations to Bay Area VA patients social workers, doctors, and nurses. As a Vietnam veteran myself, I know how important these efforts are. I have been blessed with good health, but many I served with in Vietnam are suffering debilitating health problems, and some have died from service-related diseases and consequences of PTSD.

Senator Sanders is expected to talk about the importance of making the VA health care system the kind of model for high quality publicly funded care that should be available to everyone.

< RETURN