]
Tom Butt Header E-Forum

E-Mail Forum – 2014  
  < RETURN  
  Majority of Responding Richmond Chamber of Commerce Members do Not Support Raising the Minimum Wage in Richmond
March 18, 2014

The following was received from the Richmond Chamber of Commerce this morning. There were 18 responses, nine of which did not support raising the minimum wage in Richmond beyond state levels.

Sent: Monday, March 17, 2014 5:33 PM
To: Jeffery Shoji
Cc: Trina Jackson
Subject: RE: Chamber results

Here are the results from the Richmond Chamber sending out the question regarding the minimum wage increase:
These are not in any order, but are excerpts from our responses.

1.    Increasing beyond the State’s minimum wage will force businesses to make to do with current staffing and hinder additional hiring. Worst yet, It might even create cut backs in employment. We will put ourselves in a disadvantage position compared to other neighboring cities in enticing small businesses to come to our community. Let this matter remain and be decided on State and Federal level rather than a city issue.

2.    I could only hope that City of Richmond would receive the increase to minimum wage that our community needs but mostly deserves.  At the very least I feel it is necessary to be equally matched with San Francisco.  This would close the gap so we can be more competitive and on a more equally playing field.  In my opinion here are some basic reasons why I feel the way that I do.
1.    Fair wage will allow more income with households to use within their local community.
a.    This builds a united front with our business & industry needs.
                                                  i.    Example: More opportunity to patronize local eateries, buy more products to support maintaining households and utilizing services
2.    Fair wage allows improvement to environmental health
a.    Household would feel better about missing a day or more from work when ill
                                                  i.    Example: Prevents the spread of germs & infecting our schools, churches and workplaces
3.    Fair wage allows for more opportunity to improve education & resources
a.    Families & Business would be more likely to volunteer & give back to the community
                                                  i.    Example: Parents may be more willing to miss a few hours of work to support student activates
4.    Fair wage will allow our community to be safer place for our children, elders and all to feel comfortable within
a.    Often crime is due to lack of opportunity, fair wage would increase financial stability
                                                  i.    Example: More income, less crime, more jobs
Richmond Resident & Employed within Richmond
3.    On behalf of Orton Entertainment and Assemble Restaurant.  We endorse the State of California’s plan for minimum wage.  To mirror San Francisco, which has a far higher cost of living index would result in a reduction to our work force.  While we support living wages many of our positions are part time and seasonal.  If the City Council adopts a minimum wage in line with the rate in San Francisco, it will inhibit our ability to hire youth  and directly reduce jobs we can offer the Richmond community.

4.    I support the three ballot measures to raise the minimum wage.

5.    While it is not in the least bit obvious how one should share input, let me say I am strongly in favor of increasing the minimum wage to a living wage – at least $10 per hour.

6.    Thanks for asking. We are generally supportive of these proposals.

7.    I support the new state minimum wage and perhaps Miller' proposal but NOT the City Council Resolution

8.    Is this a 2/3 vote or majority?  Why 3 options?  I think if they place all 3 on the ballot all 3 will fail depending on vote requirement.  Again, I understand the issue and agree it is difficult to live on minimum wage in Bay Area…but, it is difficult for some small businesses to pay more, hire and retain employees.  If the minimum wage is too high small businesses will either not be in business or they will cut back on employees.  Either way Richmond loses.  Today, Richmond is not San Francisco, San Jose or Seattle. 

9.    The Center currently pays all part time employees at least $10/hour and we support this kind of direction.

10.  Thanks for circulating this.  Here are my comments:

First of all, ******* starts entry level workers at more than minimum wage.   I think raising the minimum wage slowly and gradually is a good idea, in principle.

However, we compete nationally, and a $15 minimum wage would put us at a major disadvantage against our competitors located outside of California.  We are in the early stages of considering where to build a large, new facility, in which we would be making a 300 job and 30 year commitment to a community.  A $15 minimum wage law would be a major factor in our decision process.

11.  As a long standing member of the Richmond Chamber of Commerce I think you for alerting me to this situation. As a long standing member of the California Chamber of Commerce, I can assure you they would classify this a “job killer”. I strongly urge you to avail the support of the California Chamber to fight this job killer initiative. They have better facts and information and resources to fight this type of lunacy. If this goes through the end result is more unemployment in Richmond and less desire for businesses to operate in Richmond.  Live with what our State or our Federal Government proposes so that at least we have a level playing field interstate and/or intrastate.

12.  My company could just manage to pay $10.00 per hour as a minimum wage.  Currently I pay high school students $9 per hour for limited duties of just packing.  Other employees start at $10 until trained and then are given raises after 3 months varying from 25 cents to $1.00 per hour, depending on their performance.  I would need to raise my prices to cover any of the proposed rates.  Any increase in my payroll, also increases Workers’ Comp premiums and payroll taxes.

13.  Yes…do it….!!!

14.  Thanks for the opportunity to comment.

15.  Alta Vista does not support the resolution.

16.  Sounds great. Should be good for most businesses and keep Richmond up along with the other Bay Area cities. After all, the small local increase in wages will most probably be spent/circulate locally, so that local businesses and the community will benefit. Thank you.

17.  I am in favor of raising the minimum wage. I have observed that better paid employees tend to be better trained, more personally invested in the business they work for, happier, and more customer-oriented. All of these qualities are of value in any community, and particularly one as economically and culturally isolated and difficult as Richmond. I appreciate the exemptions for new businesses, and very small businesses, which prevents these businesses from facing a disproportionate increase in their costs.

18.  Its simple put yourself in their place, wouldn’t you want to make more money

I trust that this information helps.
Sincerely,
Chris

Christina Phipps
Office Manager
Richmond Chamber of Commerce
3925 Macdonald Avenue
Richmond, CA 94805
(510) 234-3512
(510) 234-3540 fax
Facebook | Twitter | www.rcoc.com
1-Monte-Carlo-Boat-Cruise-2014 Email

Sent: Friday, March 14, 2014 8:02 PM
To: chris@rcoc.com
Subject: Chamber results

Hi Chris,

I'm hoping you have some information to share with me around your poll on minimum wage.

Thanks

Jeff Shoji

< RETURN