Eastbound I-580 Western Drive On-Ramp
to Be Closed for 90 Days starting This Saturday at 6 p.m.
Traffic Shift to Begin Sunday Morning
Contra Costa County – Sunday morning, June 2nd, Caltrans will close the westbound Interstate 580 bridge deck just east of the Richmond-San Rafael Toll Plaza. Westbound traffic lanes will be shifted across the median to the eastbound bridge deck. After this traffic shift, there will be two westbound lanes and two eastbound lanes on the eastbound bridge. This traffic shift is expected to be completed by 9 a.m., Sunday, June 2nd. In addition, on Saturday, June 1st, Caltrans will close the eastbound I-580 Western Drive on-ramp at 6 p.m. and will also temporarily close one westbound lane at 7 p.m. so that the crossover work may be completed. The following details are provided:
- In order to complete the traffic shift for Sunday morning, the eastbound I-580 Western Drive on-ramp will be closed for up to 90 days starting at 6 p.m. on Saturday, June 1st.
- Eastbound On-ramp Detour: During the hours between 5:30 a.m. and 9:30 p.m., vehicles 3/4 ton or less may use the existing bicycle facility that runs underneath I-580.
- A flagger will direct traffic, and a pilot vehicle will lead vehicles to eastbound I-580. The pilot vehicle will then return to the bike facility entrance where the flagger is stationed.
- Larger vehicles and trucks, however, will travel westbound across the Richmond-San Rafael bridge, exit at the San Quentin interchange, turn left at the end of the off-ramp, and turn left at the on-ramp to eastbound I-580. The detour across the bridge and back is about 9 miles long.
- Beginning Sunday morning, westbound traffic will move across the median and drive about one-quarter mile; traffic will then be shifted back to the westbound side just before reaching the toll plaza. Note: Motorists should expect additional traffic delays while drivers adjust to this new traffic arrangement and narrower lanes.
- The traffic shift and ramp closure will remain in effect for approximately 90 days or less while Caltrans replaces the westbound bridge decks.
- Please note that the construction zone speed limit of 45 MPH will be enforced by the California Highway Patrol.
This work is weather dependent. If it is delayed due to weather conditions, work will be rescheduled. Please drive cautiously through the construction zone and leave a safe traveling distance between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead of you. Please remember to “Slow for the Cone Zone.”
For more information about the project, please call our message line at (510) 286-5820 or visit the Caltrans webpage at http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/580scofieldave/