]
Tom Butt Header E-Forum

E-Mail Forum – 2013  
  < RETURN  
  Presentations Drag Council Meeting Out Until Midnight - Still Not Enough Time
February 27, 2013

Council hears plans from Marin Clean Energy, foreclosure solutions firm; runs short on time
City Council Dias
The Marin Energy Authority, CLOUD and Mortgage Resolution Partners discussed different issues to the city council Tuesday night. (Photo by: Tawanda Kanhema)
By Sean Greene, Richmond Confidential, Posted 6 minutes ago
The Marin Energy Authority presented to the city council Tuesday night a plan to educate Richmond residents about their choices in switching to a new renewable electricity source.
The nonprofit energy corporation plans to hold a series of meetings at neighborhood council meetings and houses of worship, Marin Clean Energy (MCE) community outreach representative Alex DiGiorgio told the council in his presentation.
“Community choice programs only work when people know they have a choice and can make an informed decision,” DiGiorgio said. The point, he said, is to “empower people to make a choice where there was none before.”
In July, residents will automatically be enrolled in the Marin Clean Energy service, unless they choose to opt out. Fifty percent of the program’s energy is derived from renewable sources, such as wind and solar generation. A “Deep Green” option offers 100 percent renewable energy.
Last June, the council voted to switch the city’s electric service from Pacific Gas & Electric to MCE, joining a number of other cities.
“This is about us as a community us as a state us as a country doing something as a collective to slow down global warming,” Councilwoman Jovanka Beckles said Tuesday.
Several councilmembers expressed concern about raising rates, but DiGiorgio assured them that competition will keep the company’s rates lower than PG&E. A city staff report shows MCE currently offers slightly lower rates than PG&E, but those numbers are likely to change as the electric company’s rates continue to fluctuate. Plus, Richmond can always abandon its MCE partnership and return to PG&E, DiGiorgio said.
“I welcome MCE,” said Richmond resident and business owner Dameion King during the public comment period. “We need more agencies like that to challenge the status quo so we can embrace innovation.”
The council also heard a presentation from representatives of Community Leaders Organizing Undocumented Dreamers (CLOUD) and discussed partnering with the youth-led group to develop city policies that will improve the lives of undocumented residents in Richmond.
The presenter, Joshua Tovar, an intern with the council and UC Berkeley student, spoke about the experience of undocumented young people on behalf of CLOUD and fielded a barrage of questions from Councilman Corky Booze.
Booze sought clarification on one of the definitions of “undocumented,” which Tovar defined as entering the country without showing a passport or going through Customs.
“When I go to Cananda, I have to show mine when I come back. I go to Mexico, I have to show mine when I come back. When I go to China, I have to have it there,” Booze said. “Anytime you enter the United States or go into another country you have to go through Customs. I did that in China just recently. … I’m just trying to figure out so we don’t lead young people astray … are you saying there’s a new law that no one will have to do that anymore?”
The audience started rumbling. Tovar and Beckles, who agendized the talk, both said they didn’t understand Booze’s question.
Finally, another CLOUD member jumped in to explain. “You cross the border without the proper documents. That’s how you become undocumented, sir,” he said.
The council voted unanimously to become an “ally” of undocumented residents, meaning that it would support efforts to help them.
In an agenda filled with mainly with proclamations and presentations, the council’s most divisive decision of the night proved to be whether to extend the meeting an additional 30 minutes past 11 p.m. They spent 10 minutes debating that point.
“If you guys would stop talking so much we would get this meeting over with in a timely manner,” Councilman Nat Bates said.
Councilman Tom Butt agreed, noting this meeting’s particularly benign agenda.
“Here’s a meeting that’s made up of presentations, study sessions, nothing controversial and we just go on and on and on. We’ve fallen into this habit of no matter how small our agenda is … we just go on and on and on. We won’t get out of here before midnight,” Butt said. “We have to learn how to get out of here at a reasonable hour. This is unhealthy … it’s ineffective.”
Mayor Gayle McLaughlin moved to extend the meeting. Bates, Butt and Booze voted no, not enough to delay the rest of the agenda for a later date, so the meeting continued past midnight.
The last item the council had time for was a presentation from San Francisco-based Mortgage Resolution Partners, a community advisory firm that works with cities to stabilize local housing markets. Graham Williams, the group’s chief executive officer, asked the council to let his firm design a program to assist foreclosed homeowners who want to stay in Richmond. The partnership would not cost the city any money, he said, and the firm believes it can help 1,400 Richmond homeowners.
MRP currently works with four cities, using a plan that uses eminent domain to refinance underwater mortgages at current property values.
“Only you can prevent foreclosures in Richmond,” Williams said.
Booze was skeptical, saying he thought the group was coming in to take advantage of the city, but several Richmond residents at the meeting who waited hours just to speak on the item supported the idea.
The council unanimously voted to develop a foreclosure assistance plan with MRP.
Despite the extended meeting, one discussion fell through the cracks. The Public Works Department was scheduled to deliver a report on reopening Point Molate Beach Park after 10 years of closure, but the mayor had to push the item for next time.
Richmond: Public outreach to inform residents of renewable energy options
By Robert Rogers Contra Costa Times
Posted:   02/26/2013 11:01:58 PM PST
Updated:   02/27/2013 10:44:19 AM PST

RICHMOND -- Representatives from Marin Energy Authority told the City Council on Tuesday they plan to ramp up efforts this year to educate the public about plans to automatically switch residents and businesses to the renewable energy provider.
"The community outreach is critical," MEA community outreach representative Alex DiGiorgio said. "The purpose is to empower people with a choice they didn't have before."
Per state law, residents and businesses must opt out of MEA electricity by mail, email or phone, or will be enrolled in the new program in July.
The council voted in June to join a consortium of cities switching residential and commercial electric service from Pacific Gas & Electric to MEA, which derives 50 percent of its energy from wind and solar sources.
The goal of the community outreach plan is to inform customers of their choice to purchase electric energy from MCE or continue with PG&E.
A total of five opt-out notices will be mailed to each customer before July, with the first coming in April, according to a city staff report.
DiGiorgio said MEA electricity will be slightly cheaper, with the average resident paying $81.30 per month, down from $82.90 for PG&E.
Councilman Corky Boozé noted that MEA could not guarantee that in the future its rates will not exceed those of PG&E.
"When you want to raise your rates, you can do it," Boozé said.
But DiGiorgio said PG&E also can raise rates, and that Richmond will be guaranteed a member on the MEA board to provide input on rates. Residents can also switch back to PG&E.
"Competition can restrain prices," DiGiorgio said.
DiGiorgio said that in addition to mailers, MEA will host several town hall meetings to spread the news to the public between now and April.
Customers who do not opt out of the new plan will be automatically enrolled in MCE's "Light Green" 50 percent renewable energy program, with the other 50 percent coming from existing electricity on the energy grid. Customers may also choose to enroll in MCE's "Deep Green" program, which provides 100 percent renewable energy, for about $5 per month more, he said.
MEA is a nonprofit corporation that provides energy to 13 cities and counties, including San Rafael, Sausalito, Marin County and Fairfax. Richmond is the largest member and only one in the East Bay.
Although there was vociferous community concern before the council vote to join MEA last year, there was little Tuesday.
"I welcome this organization because they challenge the status quo," said Dameion King, a local business owner. "We are embracing innovation."
For questions about the program, residents can contact MEA officials at info@mcecleanenergy.com.
Contact Robert Rogers at 510-262-2726 or rrogers@bayareanewsgroup.com and follow Twitter.com/roberthrogers.

< RETURN