[forum/header.htm]
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  City Manager's Weekly Report for the Week Ending September 28th, 2012
October 1, 2012

Mayor and Councilmembers:

This is the weekly report for the week ending September 28th, 2012.

1. Meeting Notes

The next meeting of the City Council is Tuesday, October 2nd, beginning with a Closed Session at 5:30 PM, followed by the regular agenda at 6:30 PM.

2. Tomorrow: Richmond Arts in Motion and Spirit & Soul

As you may recall, the City of Richmond successfully partnered with the East Bay Center for the Performing Arts (EBC) to receive a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) for the Iron Triangle Interactive Art/Downtown Rejuvenation Project. This project is an exciting on-the-street interactive digital art experience designed to strengthen the Richmond community through community engagement, civic pride, and economic development in the Iron Triangle. The art itself is a collaboration between the local community, EBC and internationally acclaimed digital artist Scott Snibbe, whose installations have been experienced by 20 million people at sites that include: Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry; San Francisco’s Exploratorium; the London Science Museum; Cité de Science in Paris; and the Los Angeles International Airport.

The dedication ceremony of the Iron Triangle Interactive Art/Downtown Rejuvenation Project will take place tomorrow (September 29th) as part of an all day festival from 1:00 PM – 8:00 PM. The festival includes food and beverages, artisan shopping and phenomenal music performances featuring local favorite, Andre Thierry & Zydeco Magic.

The schedule for the day is as follows:

• Spirit & Soul takes place from 1:00 – 5:00 PM;
• Richmond Arts in Motion takes place from 4:00 – 8:00 PM;
• From 4:00 – 6:00 PM, there will be family-friendly activities on 11th Street, as well as street processions and entertainment;
• The dedication of the window art on Macdonald Avenue/11th Street will take place at 6:00 PM, to last approximately 20 minutes;
• From 6:30 - 8:00 PM, "The Congress," local soul orchestra, will perform and there will also be script-in-hand readings of a new play, "Hattie Mae's, commissioned by the Center, focused on a blues club in WWII-era Richmond - and maybe some other surprises!

Spirit poster

3. Richmond Bay Campus Long Range Development Meeting

On Thursday, October 4th, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) and UC Berkeley (UCB) are hosting a community workshop to discuss the Long Range Development Plan for the new Richmond Bay Campus of LBNL. All residents are encouraged to attend and learn more about site planning and development objectives for the new campus. Those attending will have an opportunity to join in a discussion with LBNL and UCB researchers and offer their thoughts and ideas about the future of the campus. The meeting will be from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM at the Richmond Memorial Auditorium. Refreshments will be served. Please RSVP at www.lbnlrichmond.eventbrite.com so that the hosts can plan accordingly.
I had the distinct pleasure of seeing a preview of the presentation to be offered to the community by LBNL and UCB representatives. It is one that both captures the imagination and stimulates discussion about design of the campus. For those interested in land use planning, architectural design, and the future of Richmond, this is a great meeting to attend.

Description: Description: C:\Users\perezs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\ZNDZML96\LBNL hand out Oct 4 english.jpg

Description: Description: C:\Users\perezs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\ZNDZML96\LBNL hand out Oct 4.jpg

4. Mentoring News

The City of Richmond was awarded $1.2 Million from the United States Department of Justice (Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention) to provide mentoring services to East Bay youth.

A partnership that includes Richmond Police Activities League (RPAL), Bay Area Community Resources, Oakland Police Athletic League, the East Bay Asian Youth Center, Be A Mentor Incorporated, and the City of Richmond Office of Neighborhood Safety (ONS) was provided one of ten grants awarded nationwide for the Fiscal Year 2012 Mentoring Enhancement Demonstration Program out of the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP). This was a very competitive grant funding opportunity.

ONS served as the applicant agency for the grant proposal.

Through this national program and resource, youth mentoring opportunities will be expanded and volunteer opportunities will be increased on behalf of the Richmond community. As a result of the program, 400 additional East Bay youth will be provided a mentorship relationship and opportunity with a caring adult mentor.

5. Chevron Refinery Fire Community Meeting

On Monday, September 24th, the City of Richmond and Contra Costa Health Services hosted a Chevron Refinery Fire Community Meeting in the Richmond Auditorium. Representatives from US Chemical Safety Board, US Environmental Protection Agency, California Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Bay Area Air Quality Management District, Contra Costa Health Services, and Contra Costa Sheriff’s Office of Emergency Services provided updates on the status of their investigations. Chevron was present to provide a presentation and answer questions from the community.

On September 26th, Chevron released an Industry Alert regarding the gas-oil piping failure that occurred in Crude Unit #4. Additionally, Assemblywoman Nancy Skinner and Senator Loni Hancock are calling for state oversight hearing on the Chevron fire. Community meeting materials and other updates are posted at www.ci.richmond.ca.us/chevronrefineryfire2012.

6. CAP Community Meeting

On September 19th, the City of Richmond collaborated with Contra Costa County to host Contra Costa County’s Climate Action Plan Open House #2. Attendees used dots to indicate support of various greenhouse gas emissions reducing and health-promoting measures in categories including land use and transportation, energy efficiency, waste, water, and health co-benefits. The County anticipates releasing a draft Climate Action Plan in late October 2012 for public review.

MuralChart

7. Richmond Health Equity Partnership

On September 25th, the City of Richmond hosted the 6th meeting of the Richmond Health Equity Partnership (RHEP). Representatives from Helms Middle Community School, East Bay Center for the Performing Arts, and Farm 2 Kids serving Contra Costa and Solano provided presentations. Meeting topics included development of full-service community schools, partnerships with schools to more effectively deliver program services, progress of Health in All Policies, and built environment improvements at Peres Elementary School. RHEP meeting materials are posted at http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/index.aspx?NID=2580.

8. Bike to School Day

The City of Richmond is hosting a “Bike to School Day” event on Wednesday, October 3rd from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM at Civic Center Plaza. This is an opportunity to celebrate the unique power of the bicycle and the many reasons we ride. Whether you bike to work or school, to save money or time, to preserve your health or the environment, to explore your community, or get to your destination, attending Bike to School Day is a great way to enhance this experience.

Bike to School

9. Thank You from Supervisor John Gioia for City’s Role at the California Coastal Cleanup at Shimada Park

Supervisor John Gioia sent the City of Richmond a letter thanking us for providing support for the California Coastal Cleanup at Shimada Park on Saturday, September 25th. The letter stated that there was a record turn-out of over 850 volunteers, most of whom were youth. The city contributed trucks, equipment, and staff to help make this event successful.

10. Book Talk: People vs. Newton: The REAL Trial of the 20th Century – Postponed

The author discussion and book signing event scheduled for Thursday, September 27th featuring Lise Pearlman had to be postponed. Keep an eye out for the rescheduling of this event.

11. Senior Annex Sewing Club

The Senior Annex Sewing Circle meets every Tuesday starting at 12:30 PM to 3:45 PM and Thursdays 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM. The women in the photo below are consistent participants in the sewing club and welcome everyone at all levels of sewing to join them. On October 6th from 9:00 AM -1:00 PM, the Senior Annex will be hosting a Yard Sale where some of the items below will be for sale!

Description: Description: Description: Description: G:\Photos\IMG_0748.JPG

Women from the club were asked why they enjoy sewing. Referring to the photo from left to right, this is what they had to say:

Hazel Peter: “I enjoy sewing because it is a connection with my past, and my husband is a Quaker. I also didn’t like seeing things made in other countries where I know people are being exploited.”
Anna Duperval: “I like to sew clothes.”
Dorothy Williams: “I like the creativeness of sewing. It is relaxing, therapeutic, and fun.”
Annette Thomas: “Sewing makes me feel creative. It puts me in a beautiful world. It makes me happy because I can make happy clothes.”
Jeanie Glover: “I like sewing because it is creative, and I love to sew clothes that fit me.”
Vivian Ko: “I enjoy sewing projects.”
Shirley Miller: “I enjoy sewing because I get to pick out my own material, create originality, and I sew for my grandchildren.”
Yolanda Silva: “I started sewing when I was 17 years old. Little kids and adults were always happy to have my work.”

Description: Description: Description: Description: G:\Photos\IMG_0752.JPGDescription: Description: Description: Description: G:\Photos\IMG_0754.JPG

12. Free Computer Classes Start at the Richmond Annex Senior Center

On September 25, 2012, the Richmond Annex Senior Center and the Literacy for Every Adult Program (LEAP) successfully launched a collaborative effort to bring free computer and Internet literacy classes to seniors in the Annex. LEAP computer tutors were rewarded with effusive expressions of gratitude and even a few hugs from the seniors who participated in the first classes. As one senior participant enthusiastically commented about her tutor, “The way he explained it, it made sense!”

Description: Description: C:\Users\soskej\Desktop\BTOP picture.jpg

LEAP is currently partnering with 16 community sites to provide free basic computer and Internet lessons to adults through a Broadband Technology Opportunities Grant from the Department of Commerce. The goal is to reach and educate as many adults as possible during the grant period, which ends June 30, 2013. The Senior Annex is the most recent site to join the partnership, and it was clear at the end of the first session that the collaboration is mutually beneficial one. LEAP tutor Patrick Casey summed it up best when receiving a thank-you hug from one of the senior students, “That made my day!”

13. Donation Drop Off Boxes and DBD Kiosk Stations

Did you know that there are over 20 donation drop off boxes and DVD Kiosk Stations located throughout the City of Richmond? There are green “Campus California” clothes & shoe donation boxes. As well as the blue “Community of Change” clothes & shoes donation boxes and the red “Redbox” DVD kiosk stations in the City.

The City of Richmond implemented an ordinance to allow donation boxes to be installed within the City limits. The Planning Department staff reviews each application individually and they follow a process for obtaining a Conditional Use Permit. Each donation collection box is carefully reviewed to determine setback requirements, visual obstructions and other issues associated with the guidelines. It is imperative that donation bins are installed according to the guidelines to prevent any health or safety concerns. It was brought to our attention that although various boxes had been deployed throughout the City; permits had not been issued permitting the vast majority of them. Additionally, some of the boxes were installed in the public right of way.

Code Enforcement Officer Renée Souza collaborated with Jonelyn Whales of the Planning Department to work with representatives from the various companies responsible for the installation of the donation boxes. Together, they convinced the representatives to obtain the necessary permits, pay the associated fees and relocate boxes to approved locations. As a result of their hard work, 95% of these boxes have been brought into compliance. The projected revenue the City will collect after all of the drop boxes are in compliance will be approximately $30,000.

Description: Description: Campus CaliforniaClothes & ShoesDescription: Description: Redbox

14. Temporary Detours at Richmond Intermodal Transit Station

As part of the BART parking structure project, the bus circulation area will be repaved and a new concrete crosswalk at 16th and Macdonald will be installed. This work will necessitate the closure of the intermodal area to vehicular traffic from September 22nd through October 8th. During this time, the following functions will be relocated as follows, and as shown on the graphic below:

• AC Transit and Golden Gate Transit bus stops will be relocated to Macdonald Avenue and Marina Way.
• Shuttle bus stops will be relocated to the Nevin Avenue “kiss and ride” area east of Marina Way.
• Accessible parking, accessible passenger drop-off and paratransit stops will be relocated to the parking lot at the northeast corner of Marina Way and Macdonald Avenue, enter from Marina Way.
• Passenger drop-off will be relocated to the east station entrance, enter from 18th or 19th.
• Taxi drop off/pick up will be relocated to 16th Street south of Macdonald.
• Pedestrian access from Macdonald Avenue at 16th Street to the station entrance will be maintained during construction.

Map Barrett

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact project manager Chadrick Smalley at 412-2067.

15. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Open House

The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory will host an Open House on Saturday, October 13th from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM. Families, community members, and science enthusiasts are invited to tour facilities, hear from scientists about their research, and have fun with hands-on activities in the Family Adventure Zone. Registration required: www.lbl.gov/openhouse

Adventures in Science

16. Public Works Updates

Facilities Maintenance Division: Painters completed the apparatus doors at Fire Station 67.

Man Painting

Painting of Apparatus Doors at Fire Station 67

The Electricians repaired the lighting in the men’s locker room of the Kennedy Swim Center, relamped a portion of Carlson Boulevard, repaired underpass lights on MacDonald Avenue, inspected loops at 16th Street, and MacDonald Avenue.

Revamping

Relamping on Carlson Boulevard

Parks and Landscaping Division: Crews are nearing the completion of the Burg Park construction, continuing with the replacement of the Booker T. Anderson Pedestrian Bridge, renovating the turf at Marina Green Park, weed abatement along Richmond Parkway, and completed vegetation maintenance on Baxter Creek in Booker T. Anderson Park.

Burg park construction

Burg Park Construction

Tree Crew trimmed and pruned trees on Ohio Avenue, Mariposa Street, Humphrey Avenue, and on Arizona Avenue.

Streets Division: Pavement Maintenance crews grinded and paved on Panama Avenue, San Pablo Avenue and San Luis Street.

Description: Description: C:\Users\thomasN\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Word\DSC00784.jpg

Panama Avenue Paving

Street Sweeping continued with the commercial and residential routes. The routes swept during the fourth Monday through Friday of the month were, Santa Fe, Point Richmond, Marina Bay, Coronado, Metro Richmore Village, Pullman, Cortez/Stege, Park Plaza, Laurel Park, City Center, Richmond Annex, Parkview, Panhandle Annex, and Eastshore Neighborhood Council areas.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments about these or any other items of interest to you.

Have a great week!

You can sign up to receive the City Manager’s weekly report and other information from the City of Richmond by visiting:

www.ci.richmond.ca.us/list.aspx

Bill Lindsay
City Manager
City of Richmond
(510) 620-6512
Bill_lindsay@ci.richmond.ca.us

RETURN