[forum/header.htm]
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  City Manager's Weekly Report for the Week Ending August 24th, 2012
August 26, 2012

Mayor and Councilmembers:

This is the weekly report for the week ending August 24th, 2012.

• Meeting Notes

The City Council is on its annual August hiatus.  The next City Council meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, September 11th.  Enjoy your free Tuesday evenings; August is flying by!

• Update on Chevron Refinery Fire

The City of Richmond and Contra Costa Health Services and Hazardous Materials will share pertinent information with the public regarding the process and work to date associated with investigating the Chevron Refinery fire that occurred on August 6, 2012. There will be a public and media briefing this Monday, August 27th at 10:00 AM in the Richmond City Council Chambers at 440 Civic Center Plaza. 

This is intended to be the first of a series of regularly scheduled briefings that will feature representatives from agencies including Contra Costa Health Services, California Occupational Safety and Health Administration (CalOSHA), Chemical Safety Board (CSB), US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD), and the Contra Costa Sheriff’s Department Office of Emergency Services.

The initial briefing will provide an opportunity for interested parties to learn more about the role of each agency and scope of their investigation, ask questions, and propose additional avenues for consideration in the investigations.

City staff is continuing to update the City’s website with information as we receive it.  The website can be accessed through this link. The following are some key pieces of information that we received this week:

• On Tuesday, August 21st, the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors received an oral report on the Chevron refinery fire from Dr. Walker, Director of Contra Costa Health Services, Katherine Hern, Contra Costa Community Warning System Manager, and Randy Sawyer, the Chief Environmental Health and Hazardous Materials Officer for Contra Costa County.  A video recording of the meeting is accessible at the following link under "Item D1 oral report on the event at the Chevron Refinery in Richmond".  The report includes useful information on the community health impacts and emergency response system.

• The Bay Area Air Quality Management District released a statement on the results of particulate matter from smoke analysis, which can be accessed through the following link.   The data from the filter sample collected beginning at midnight August 7th through midnight August 8th.  The analysis tested for elemental carbon, organic carbon, weight and other chemical components of particulate matter.
  • Single-Use Carryout Bag Reduction Ordinance – EIR Comment Period and Public Hearing

RecycleMore has prepared an Initial Study to evaluate the environmental impacts of a draft Single-Use Carryout Bag Reduction Ordinance, as required by the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).  The proposed ordinance would prohibit the free distribution of single-use carryout paper and plastic bags at the point of sale (i.e., check-out) for all retail establishments except restaurants and nonprofit charitable reuse organizations.  Retail establishments would be permitted to provide paper bags containing at least 40 percent recycled content for a fee of five cents for each bag.

The review period for the Initial Study document is 30 days, beginning on August 6th, and closing on September 5th.  It is anticipated that this ordinance will be considered for adoption by each of the member agencies of RecycleMore (West County cities), including the City of Richmond following completion of the CEQA documentation.

RecycleMore will host a public hearing to respond to questions about the Initial Study and CEQA next Tuesday, August 28th, from 5:30 PM to 7:00 PM at the Richmond Council Chambers.  For more details on the initial study, environmental review documents or to obtain a copy of the draft ordinance, please visit www.recyclemore.com or the City of Richmond Planning & Building Services at 450 Civic Center Plaza.  Interested persons are encouraged to provide written comments to the attention of Chris Lehon, Executive Director, RecycleMore, One Alvarado Square San Pablo, CA 94806.

• A Story of Re-Entry at LEAP

Another LEAP (Literacy for Every Adult Person) success story:

“My parole office said I had too much time on my hands, so she sent me to LEAP.”  This is what Themise, a LEAP student told his tutor when asked why he first came to LEAP.

photo (2)

Themise, Sandra & Douglas

Themise thought that the idea of coming to LEAP was a good one.  “I knew nothing about LEAP until I talked with San (Sandra Arroyo) and I told her that I couldn’t read. She told me about the program and made me feel comfortable.”

LEAP continues to meet new students on a daily or weekly basis who need to improve their basic skills. Many need tutoring in basic reading, writing, and math skills before they can take the next step - pass the GED.  Themise is a perfect example.

As he reported, “I was assigned a tutor who I saw eye to eye with. His name is Douglas Castro.  I started in April and I keep coming because I see that I am accomplishing something.  Before, I used to have to take people with me to fill out forms.  Now I can do it on my own.  I can now pick up a newspaper, my mail and some books, and I read the stuff they send me from Social Security.  I feel good about myself because I could not do these things before.  I don’t want to quit until I can really read, write and spell and get a GED.”

• Recreation Updates

Disabled Peoples Recreation Center

The Richmond Information Technology Department has provided two I-Pads for use by participants and staff of the Disabled Peoples Recreation Center (DPRC).  The morning Adult Program will be using the IPads in many exciting ways, including a “Mapping the Environment” class that develops their technical skills in mobility.  The class will discuss destinations, modes of transportation, departure and arrival times, and costs for their weekly excursions.  

Adult Tennis

The Recreation Department Adult Tennis Program, in collaboration with the United States Tennis Association, held an Adult Tennis Play Day on Saturday, August 18th, at Nicholl Park Tennis Courts.  The diverse group received instruction ranging from racquet grip to foot movement and culminated the event in friendly matches. 

Family Summer Movies

The Free Family Summer Movies series ended Friday, August 17th with the double feature, Cars 2 and We Bought a Zoo.

Aqua Zumba

Aqua Zumba continues on Fridays from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM and Saturdays from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM at the Richmond Plunge.

• Public Works Updates

Facilities Maintenance Division: Carpenters formed and completed a concrete path on the west side of the Main Library.

The Painters completed painting the fascia of the Main Library.

The Stationary Engineers repaired rear gates at Fire Station #64 and #68, replaced two water heaters at the Starlight Building, and replaced the air filters at 440 and 450 Civic Center Plaza.

The Electricians repaired lighting at the Kennedy Swim Center and continued street light relamping around the City.

Parks and Landscaping Division: Crews are continuing the Burg Park reconstruction and have completed the pouring of the concrete; replacement of the Booker T. Anderson pedestrian bridge has started; other activites included vegetation management on the Richmond Parkway, landscape renovation at the Marina Bay tennis courts, and vegetation maintenance at Lamoine, Raincloud, Tiller Parks and May Valley Community Center.

cid:image002.jpg@01CD8227.BBA153E0

Burg Park Renovations

cid:image003.jpg@01CD8227.BBA153E0

Booker T. Anderson Pedestrian Bridge Construction

The Tree Crew trimmed and pruned trees along Esmond Avenue, South 5th Street, Harbour Way and Gaynor Avenue.

Streets Division:  Pavement Maintenance crews grinded and paved on Parkside Drive and Club Drive.

cid:image004.jpg@01CD8227.BBA153E0

Paving on Parkside Drive
Street Sweeping continued with regularly scheduled commercial and residential routes for the third Monday and Tuesday, as well as the fourth Wednesday through Friday in the North Richmond, Iron Triangle, North Belding Woods, Metro Richmore Village, Pullman, Cortez/Stege, Park Plaza, Laurel Par, City Center, Richmond Annex,  Parkview, Panhandle, and Eastshore Neighborhood Council areas.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments about these or any other items of interest to you.

Have a great week!

You can sign up to receive the City Manager’s weekly report and other information from the City of Richmond by visiting:

www.ci.richmond.ca.us/list.aspx

Bill Lindsay
City Manager
City of Richmond
450 Civic Center Plaza
Richmond, California 94804-1630
Phone:  510-620-6512
Fax:  510-620-6542
E-mail:  bill_lindsay@ci.richmond.ca.us

RETURN