[forum/header.htm]
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  Quiet Zones Update
April 25, 2012

It’s been a while since I updated the status of expanding railroad quiet zones in Richmond. Here is an update:

4th Street and Cutting

On February 29, 2012, the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) approved the City’s application to establish a quiet zone at South 4th/Cutting crossing using alternative safety measures.  As soon as the City’s construction work – installation of 23-foot pork chop island and permanent closure of S.4th Street – is complete, Assistant City Attorney Carlos Privat will issue the Notice of Quiet Zone Establishment.

Below is the letter from FRA:
FRA Approval letter 2-29-2012_Page_1.jpg

FRA Approval letter 2-29-2012_Page_2.jpg
Richmond Associate Civil Engineer Joel Camacho emailed me on April 23 with the following update:

We got quotes from two Contractors: Ghilotti Brothers $61,925 and W.R. Forde $29,640

W.R. Forde appears to be the lowest bidder, however upon analyzing their proposal we noticed that their assumptions are very different. We are finalizing a revised set of plans and specifications to clarify to both contractors their scope of work. We will send it to them today.

The next expected milestones are:

• Quotes from Contractors: April 26. (3 working days)
  • Approval by City Manager and Port Director: May 3rd. (5 working days)
  • Notice to Proceed: May 7th. (2 working days)
  • Construction Complete: May 25th (14 working days)

For further information contact:

Joel Camacho, P.E.
Associate Civil Engineer
City of Richmond, Engineering Services Department
450 Civic Center Plaza, Richmond, CA 94804
(510-620-5482
joel_camacho@ci.richmond.ca.us
http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/index.aspx?nid=73
Follow Engineering Services Projects at http://twitter.com/CoR_Engineering

Canal Boulevard

I noticed just last week that the crossing equipment has been installed at Wharf Street. On February 23, Carlos Privat emailed me ,“Robert Stevens believes he will be finished with the plans by tomorrow.  Subject to Joel’s review, they should be disseminated shortly.”

On April 22, Carlos Privat wrote, “Canal Blvd Update - I believe Joel Camacho has now shared the draft plans with the PUC, industry and BNSF, and is waiting on comments. Joel should confirm this.”

S. 34th St Update

On February 23, Carlos Private emailed me, “The cost to install three wayside horns is approximately $100,000.  Joel is setting-up a meeting with RPR to discuss cost sharing.  We hope to meet soon.”

On April 22, Privat wrote;

S.34th Street Update - RPR was able to procure a bid for approximately $75,000. Joel Torres with RPR is still looking into ways for RPR to help pay the installation cost. We should have an answer soon.

The current thinking is to hold off on establishing a quiet zone at S.34th Street until the Meade Street by-pass has been constructed and the Regatta crossing closed. The by-pass work is scheduled to be complete by the end of this Summer. Upon completion, we will include the Meade Street crossing in quiet zone with S.34th Street. My last name does NOT end in an E.

RETURN