-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
E-Mail Forum
RETURN
Prison Budget Impacts Forum Oct 26

cid:image001.jpg@01CA517E.D4DB9550

THE COST OF CORRECTIONS:

Impact on our Communities, State Budget, and Public Safety

Since 1990, California’s prison population has increased by 73% and corrections spending has grown at nearly four times the rate of general spending as a whole. California also has the highest recidivism rate in the nation. Many are calling for reform for California’s criminal justice system. What reforms have been made, will they work, and are they enough?

Monday, October 26

7:00pm-9:00pm

Contra Costa College

Liberal Arts Building

Room 100

2600 Mission Bell Drive

San Pablo

Parking will be free in lots 4, 5, 6 and 7

A panel of experts will be on hand to share information and their thoughts. Most importantly, we want to hear from you. Join Assemblymember Skinner for this important community discussion. 

For more information or to RSVP, call (510) 286-1400

www.assembly.ca.gov/skinner

From Assemblymember Nancy Skinner:

On Monday, October 26th, 7-9pm at Contra Costa College in San Pablo, my office will hold a forum "The Cost of Corrections: Impact on Our Communities, State Budget, and Public Safety" with Dr. Barry Krisberg, President of the National Council of Crime and Delinquency, Taalia Hasan, Executive Director of the West Contra Costa County Youth Services Bureau, Junious Williams, Jr., CEO of the Urban Strategies Council, and Dwayne Cooks with the CA Department of Corrections, Contra Costa County Parole Division.

Since 1990, California's prison population increased 73% and corrections spending grew at nearly four times the rate of any other budget category.  With prison overcrowding and the highest recidivism rate in the country, many are calling for an overhaul of California's criminal justice system. 

Please join me Monday to discuss what is and isn't working in our corrections system and what else might be done to make our communities safer and our prisons a last resort. Organizations joining me in hosting this important community forum are Contra Costa College, Neighborhood House, GRIP, Urban Strategies, Richmond Vision, Youth Uprising, Books not Bars, Opportunity West, and West County League of Women Voters.

Monday, October 26, 7:00-9:00PM
Contra Costa College
Liberal Arts Building, Room 100
2600 Mission Bell Drive
San Pablo
(free parking available in lots 4,5,6,7)

For more information or to RSVP, call (510) 286-1400 or visit www.assembly.ca.gov/skinner

I look forward to seeing you.

Capitol Office:
State Capitol
P.O. Box 942849
Sacramento, CA 94249-0014
Tel: (916) 319-2014
Fax: (916) 319-2114

District Office:
Elihu Harris State Building
1515 Clay Street
Suite 2201
Oakland, CA 94612